MEDIA RELEASE and ADVISORY
September 16, 2010
Pensioners’ Coalition staging rally at Confederation Building
There will be a rally on Monday, September 19 at 11:30 am, at Confederation Building, to protest the provincial government’s intransigence in refusing to address public sector pension crisis in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The rally is presented by the Public Sector Pensioner’s Coalition, which represents approximately 22,000 retirees who receive a pension from the Pooled Pension Fund.
“This rally is part of our campaign to ensure that government addresses our concerns about the need to acknowledge its obligations to its former employees, by committing to remedy the issues that public sector pensioners have been articulating for the last 22 years,” said Sharron Callahan, President of the Newfoundland and Labrador Public Sector Pensioners Association.
The key message at the rally will be “No Increase, No Vote.”
“And just to clarify, that means no vote for any MHA who does not announce a progressive and fair position on pension reform,” said Ralph Morris, President, NAPE Local 7002. “We are 25,000 strong, not including extended family members, and we have tremendous voting power. This October, we are using that power to its full potential.”
The rally will run from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm, at the front of Confederation Building.
For further information, contact:
Sharron Callahan: 690-1238
Ralph Morris: 725-6779
The Pensioners’ Coalition includes:
- Newfoundland and Labrador Public Sector Pensioners’ Association (NLPSPA)
- Retired Teachers’ Association of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public Employees, Local 7002
- Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Veterans Association
- St. John’s Fire Fighters’ Retirees Association
- Retired Correctional Officers
- Silver Lights (NL Hydro, NALCOR)