Nominations / Awards Committee
The Nominations/Awards Committee shall be a Committee of the Association with the general responsibility:
- A. to ensure effective succession of qualified candidates proposed for election to the Board of Directors by recruiting and presenting a slate of nominees for election;
- B. to recruit and maintain a pool of qualified and interested candidates for membership on the various Standing, Special and Ad Hoc Committees of the Board;
- C. to facilitate appropriate recognition of members of the Association, and of non-members, who have made a significant contribution to the well being of public sector pensioners.
The specific responsibilities of the Nominations/Awards Committee will include:
- To identify vacancies that will occur on the Board of Directors effective at the next Annual General Meeting;
- To ensure an open and transparent nominations and elections process, including the timely and clear communication of the requirements for and commitments to the position of Board Director
- To solicit nominations through various means, including advertising, search, and personal approach to the membership of the Association and to present a list of suitable candidates to the Board of Directors and to the membership prior to the Annual General Meeting in order to ensure that there are sufficient and suitable candidates nominated to fill vacancies on the Board;
- To conduct elections to the Board of Directors at the Annual General Meeting;
- To conduct a review of the nominations and election process and outcomes at the end of each election and to submit recommendations to the Board to facilitate the work of the Committee in the future;
- To recruit a pool of qualified and interested candidates, including Members and non-members for membership on the various committees of the Board. These candidates may be recruited from the candidates for election to the Board, from the general membership of the Association, or from the community at large.
- To advise the Board of Directors on appropriate ways to recognize members and non-members for contributions to the Association and to the well being of public sector pensioners;
- to receive and review nominations for awards from members, ensuring that all necessary information is available and to initiate additional nominations if considered appropriate;
- To present recommendations for awards to the Board of Directors for approval and to arrange suitable presentation of awards to candidates approved by the Board;
- To ensure that a record of awards is maintained in an appropriate manner.
- To review these Terms of Reference on an annual basis for possible amendments and to refer any proposed revisions to the Board of Directors for approval;
- To report to the Board of Directors on a regular basis and to provide a summary report to the membership at the Annual General Meeting.
The Chair of the Nominations/Awards Committee shall be a member of the Board of Directors appointed by the President. A Vice Chair may be appointed by the Chair, if necessary.
The Nominations/Awards Committee shall have at least two members of the Board of Directors and at least one member of the Association who is not a member of the Board. Other members may include individuals who are not members of the Board. Branches of the Association shall be invited to nominate a liaison member to the Committee. The membership of the Committee shall be recruited by the Chair in consultation with the President. The President of the Association will be, ex officio, a member of the Committee.
The Nominations/Awards Committee shall be accountable to the Board of Directors, but shall work collaboratively with other committees and shall report to the Board of Directors on a regular and as appropriate basis. It shall also provide a summary report to the membership at the Annual General Meeting.
Term of Office
The Term of Office of the Nominations/Awards Committee shall be for a one year period.
These Terms of Reference shall be approved and may subsequently be amended by a majority vote of the Board of Directors at a regular meeting of the Board.
*Approved by the Board of Directors (Executive) on May 28, 2009